28 Feb 9 ways to relax at home or work
It’s easy to relax when you’re on vacation as you lie on the beach or stroll through museums. However, peace can be more elusive when your kids are home sick and your inbox is overflowing at work.
Fortunately, there are ways to make relaxing anywhere simple and quick. Try these 15 foolproof methods for unwinding at home or at the office.
Relaxing at Home:
- Turn off your phone. Disconnect for a while each day. Make family meals and the final hours before bed a phone-free time.
- Listen to Quran. Put on the recitation of your favourite surah. Sit down and pay attention without trying to multitask.
- Visualize peace. Guided imagery is another powerful technique. Picture a scene that makes you feel tranquil inside and out. Imagine yourself walking through a field of flowers or swimming in a cool lagoon.
- Massage your feet. Five minutes is barely time to draw a bath, but you can soak your feet. Fill a basin with warm water. Squeeze your heels and gently pull on each toe.
- Sniff lavender. Sample a variety of essential oils used for relaxation. You may discover a personal favorite, or you may want to rotate among lavender, valerian, and bergamot.
Relaxing at Work:
Remember that periodic breaks make you more productive. Here are a few more things you can do.
- Breathe deeply. When you feel tense, turn your attention to your breath. Inhale deeply from your abdomen and lengthen your exhalations.
- Adjust your posture. Scan your body to release any spots where you may be holding on to stress. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and press them down. Soften your forehead and blink your eyes.
- Take a walk. If possible, head outside to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. If you need to stay indoors, climb a few flights of stairs or walk from one end of the office to the other.
- Stretch your muscles. Stand up and perform a few static stretches. Lower yourself into a forward bend. Clasp your elbows behind your back.
Regular relaxation keeps your mind and body healthy and strong. Experiment to find the practices that relieve your stress and renew your energy.