01 Mar Overcoming Negative Thinking
“Knowing when and how to change course is important to success. Self-doubt is a lighthouse that will keep you from running aground. Don’t become shipwrecked on the rocks of time. Be willing to rethink your decisions and change course.” [Harley King]
This month, I invite you to join me as we explore our communication patterns: how often do you find yourself struggling with negative thinking? The harsh inner critic that gets you entangled in a web of anxiety, guilt or conflict?
Allow me to introduce you to the ‘Fabulous Fours’!
Unhelpful, negative thinking can have serious consequences on our emotional health and impact upon relationship dynamics. And it’s something that affects us all – I’ll be the first to admit that it gets me down, too!
To untangle yourself from an unhealthy thought, begin by asking yourself these 4 defining questions:
1. Is this thought true; is it an absolute fact?
2. Is this thought helpful to me?
3. Is this thought part of an old(er) story that my mind is merely re-playing, out of habit?
4. Does this thought lead me to take constructive action?
Done? Alright! Now it’s time to make space for clarity, focus, and new possibilities. Ready:)
– Consider asking yourself or writing about any 1 of these prompts:
1. How can I move towards making the best of this situation? 2. Who would I be without this negative thought? 3. Could I possibly see this situation in a different light? 4. What could I, in this moment, be grateful for?
Using any one of these questions will help create a shift, where you can begin to change focus from all that’s negative, to what is actually working out for you and going well in life. This then leads to us responding in a calmer way with the lens of perspective and possibility. How does it get any better than that:)
As always, I look forward to hearing from you and connecting with you in this journey called LIFE. If you’d like to seek clarity or discuss over a session, feel free to get in touch with me directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org or book a complimentary session with me via our convenient online booking system over at the website.
Onward, Upward, Inward!
Your sister & Mindset coach, Rayhaanah